We are all really excited to meet you in Matera and to get into the groove of being with people passionate about the world of geo-data!
The course is hosted by Universita della Basilicata – Dipartimento delle culture europee e del Mediterraneo and the venue is at the Università degli Studi della Basilicata, Via Lanera, 75100 Matera – Italy, (see entrance view) which is under 15min walking distance from all B&Bs located in the old city centre “I Sassi “. You can enter from Via Lanera by following the blu dots path.
As soon the in-person week is confirmed you can book your accommodation. We strongly suggest making reservations in advance, in order to get good deals.
Recommended Accommodation(Cheap, clean and in a nice heritage building)
Cost of living in Matera
The average cost of living in Matera is low compared to Italian standards, e.g. meal in an inexpensive restaurant costs 15-20 Euro. You can find detailed information here.
The easiest way to reach Matera is to fly to Bari Karol Wojtyla Airport BRI (also called Bari Palese airport) around 70 km away. Bari Airport is also served by low-cost airlines, such as Ryanair, Easyjet, Gemarwings, etc (see the airlines destinations from/to Bari ) from main European cities. If you do not find a direct flight we suggest to get a flight to Rome or Milano spend few days there and then get a train or flight.
There is also another airport: Brindisi Airport (https://www.aeroportidipuglia.it/homepagebrindisi) that is a bit further then Bari but can be also good in case there is a straight flight from your country.
Bari Airport to Matera
- Taxi: (80-100EURO each way, 1h15min), keep in touch with other course participants to share.
- Bus: Direct bus service from Bari Airport to Matera (~5 Euro), running several times a day (1h 15 min trip). The ticket can be bought from the driver.
- Train: the airport is connected by train to the Bari Central Station, and from there you have to get a train to Matera. Pay attention that on Sunday there are no trains. Info at https://www.trenitalia.com/
Other useful links
(Sites in italian but reports a time table. At the moment the sites list time table valid untill 31 March 2020, should update later on)
In previous years, some departing students have organized a minibus go to the airport. Therefore, you may arrange your arrival individually, and coordinate your return trip with others when you are in Matera.
- Connection Bari airport – Bari city centre – Matera (plan a 3 hours trip):
- City-Bus public transport AMTAB BUS 16 , connecting the Airport with Bari Centrale railway station.
- Railway line Ferrotramviaria S.p.A connecting Bari Aeroport with Bari Centrale Station.
- Railway line, Ferrovie Appule Lucane connecting Bari central station with Matera.
Note, the bus & train option need to be planned in advance. Be aware that on Sunday some public transportation lines do not operate.
Alternative Routes to Matera
You can fly to Rome, Naples and connect to Matera:
There is a bus service Marozzi which connect main Italian cities with Matera.
SITA operates bus services from Matera to Taranto and Metaponto as well as other local towns and villages.
If you want visit the surrounding of Matera and the nearby Puglia region, public transportation is available. However, when exploring at your own leisure and seeing more remote areas of the region of Basilicata and Puglia, a hired car (at Bari Airport) would be handy. Some other useful links:
GRASSANI * Linee Potenza-Matera
MAROZZI * Linee Matera-Roma Tiburtina www.marozzivt.it
MARINO * Linee Matera-Altamura-Bari-Napoli www.marinobus.it